Feeling a little nervous in the dentist’s chair is very common. Most patients feel uneasy on some level during their visit. For some, however, an appointment is not only unpleasant but a highly anxiety-inducing experience. If visiting the dentist causes extreme uneasiness, or you’ve been putting off dental work due to anxiety, Odeon Dental is pleased to offer the option of Sedation Dentistry!
Your SW Calgary Choice for Sedation Dentistry in Marda Loop!
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is a way of keeping you calm and relaxed through the use of sedatives during your dental procedures. For those with severe dental anxiety, sedation dentistry can be the difference between accessing dental care and avoiding it altogether.
Sedation Dentistry is Ideal for Patients who:
- Are nervous or anxious about their dental care
- Require a lot of dental work at one time
- Have difficulty becoming and staying frozen
- Have a severe gag reflex or are claustrophobic
- Need Oral Surgery like Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Have a low pain threshold
Sedation Dentistry is Safe and Effective!
Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective way to provide relaxation, comfort, and an amnesiac effect during your dental treatment. It has proven successful at reducing anxiety during treatment and can give you the confidence to get the dental treatment and care you need and/or desire. Do not let fear stop you from the smile you want! Whatever type of sedation you need, Odeon Dental is here to help.
Types of Sedation Dentistry Offered at Odeon Dental
1. Oral Sedation: Oral sedation provides light to moderate sedation for patients. It is administered by taking one or two pills of a sedative medication before your procedure. The medication is strong enough to make patients feel sleepy and therefore more relaxed, which helps alleviate the stress or anxiety associated with undergoing dental work. Patients still remain conscious enough to follow the dentist’s instructions throughout the dental procedure.
2. Nitrous Oxide Sedation: Nitrous Oxide, also commonly called laughing gas, is the most popular form of sedation therapy in the dental office and provides light sedation for anxious patients. It is administered by breathing in a mixture of Nitrous Oxide and Oxygen through the nose. It will not make you sleep, but rather will help patients relax and remain in a comfortable state during their dental treatment. The effects are very mild, and you’ll start to feel the gas very quickly, sometimes as soon as 30 seconds after you start breathing it in. Because it’s gas, it wears off very quickly once you stop breathing it in. Patients receiving only laughing gas as a sedative are often able to drive themselves home after a procedure.
3. IV Sedation: Sedation is delivered straight into your bloodstream through a carefully placed IV in the vein, which takes immediate effect. With this method, your dentist can adjust your dosage from minimal (you’ll feel relaxed but able to talk) to deep (you probably won’t remember the procedure). This allows a patient to still be awake during the procedure, but feel no pain, while also allowing your dentist to be able to administer another drug to wake you up later on. IV sedation offers deeper sedation than both oral or nitrous sedation, and while you’ll still be awake throughout the procedure, you will be far less aware of what is happening throughout the procedure. It will require some recovery time once you exit the office.
Overall health must be considered before you undergo any type of sedation dentistry. Certain physical conditions, including such things as cardiac disease, diabetes, hypertension, and certain respiratory diseases, must have medical clearance from your family doctor. Your dentist at Odeon Dental will make sure to get your full medical history as well as a physical overview before deciding whether sedation dentistry is right for you.
Are You Fearful or Nervous About Visiting A Dentist? Contact Us Today and Let Us Show You How We Can Help!