If you have one or more missing teeth, and you are looking for a permanent and durable solution, Odeon Dental is pleased to offer the convenience of Dental Implants!
Your SW Calgary Choice for Dental Implants in Marda Loop!
What is a Dental Implant?
Dental implants are small, titanium, screw-shaped threaded cylinders that are used to replace one or many missing teeth, or to stabilize dentures. They are surgically placed into the bone in the upper and/or lower arches of the mouth in the area of a missing tooth, as a replacement for the natural root of your tooth. As such, they provide a solid base for the artificial tooth replacement(s). Essentially dental implants act as anchors for the artificial tooth. Since a missing tooth can create problems for surrounding teeth, such as improper alignment, an implant is often recommended. After healing, implants are fitted with a dental crown or bridge, completing the restoration.
What are Dental Implants Used For?
- Can be used if you are missing some or all of their teeth
- Can be used individually or to support a number of dental prostheses, including implant-supported bridges and dentures.
- Can be used for patients who have dentures, in order to improve the fit when there are concerns about adequate bone level, causing an improper fit, pain and irritation to the gum tissues, and the need for the security of Denture adhesives. Dental implant-supported dentures clip into the dental implants, providing a more secure fit.
- Can be used if a tooth you still have has become too sick to treat. In such a case, it will need to be removed and an implant put in its place.
Advantages of Dental Implants:
- Natural tooth appearance
- Conserves surrounding teeth
- Conserves bone structure and density
- Permanent and easy to care for
- Long-lasting – with regular care, they can last a lifetime
- Strong, stable, and durable
- Helps prevent cavities – since they are cavity proof, your smile is no longer as vulnerable to tooth decay
What does getting a Dental Implant Involve?
- X-rays and impressions (molds) are taken of the jaw and teeth to determine bone, gum tissue, and spacing available for an implant.
- While the area is numb, the implant will be surgically placed into the bone and allowed to heal and integrate itself into the bone for up to six months.
- Depending on the type of implant, a second surgery may be required in order to place the “post” that will hold the artificial tooth in place. With other implants, the post and anchor are already attached and placed at the same time.
- After several weeks of healing, the artificial teeth are made and fitted to the post portion of the anchor. Because several fittings may be required, it can take one to two months of healing time after the implant has been placed before a crown can be placed on top of it and the procedure complete. The healing time is different for everyone depending on the strength of the bone the implant is anchored to.
- After a healing period, the artificial teeth are securely attached to the implant, providing excellent stability and comfort to the patient.
- You will receive care instructions when your treatment is completed. Good oral hygiene, eating habits, and regular dental visits will aid in the life of your new implant.
You will not have to worry about your implant being noticeable to others since a good implant should only appear on an x-ray that your dentist will see. In fact, some dentists can’t even tell if you have an implant without first looking at an x-ray.
Note that if multiple teeth are missing, a bridge may be needed to replace them at the same time. The team at Odeon Dental can help you understand exactly what is needed before you get started.
Dental implants are the perfect way to take care of a missing tooth and help you achieve
the winning smile you’ve been dreaming of.