Healthy teeth and gums are fundamental to a healthy mouth and a beautiful smile. That is why Odeon Dental is dedicated to helping you maintain your gums and overall dental health. With regular dental hygiene appointments and exams, we can help you achieve and maintain optimum oral health!
Your SW Calgary Choice for Dental Hygiene and Exams in Marda Loop!
Why are regular Dental Hygiene Appointments and Exams important?
Routine home maintenance, while very effective, only focuses on areas of the tooth above the gum. A professional cleaning will be able to clean your teeth above the gum line (known as scaling), but also below the gum line (known as root planing). It is only through regular scaling and root planing procedures that remove plaque, tartar, and bacteria toxins from those hard to reach areas below the gum line that we can keep your gums healthy from top to bottom!
Our Team at Odeon Dental uses traditional hand scalers and ultrasonic scaling tools to remove stubborn deposits of bacteria and tartar (known as calculus). The goal of regular dental hygiene appointments is to prevent cavities and Gum Disease. Gum Disease is often pain-free but can ultimately result in premature tooth loss and lead to other health issues if left unattended.
Odeon Dental’s New Comprehensive Patient Package includes a comprehensive exam, a full series of x-rays, a 1-hour hygiene appointment, and a complimentary electric toothbrush!
What Happens at a Dental Hygiene Appointment and/or Exam?
As well as cleaning your teeth above and below the gum line, our Odeon Dental Team will perform a number of important oral health checks at your hygiene appointment, including:
- A complete periodontal assessment
- Checking for any gum recession
- Checking for the presence of gingivitis
- Checking for any loose teeth
- Polishing your teeth to remove any surface stain
- Removing plaque or tartar above and below the gum line
- Fluoride treatment (if chosen) to help prevent cavities from forming and harden enamel in areas that may be weak
- Reviewing your home care techniques and their effectiveness
- An Oral cancer screening and exam at least once a year to check the head, neck and jaw areas for confirmation of health
- An intra-oral exam to check the gum tissues, tongue, and lips for confirmation of health
- Digital x-rays (when needed) to check bone levels. This is a good indicator of chronic gum and bone disease.
How Often Should You Visit Odeon Dental for A Hygiene Visit?
How often you need to visit us for a hygiene visit depends on several factors; Are your teeth susceptible to excess accumulation of plaque and calculus? Do you have crowded teeth, fillings, or missing teeth? These are all cases that can lead to increased plaque buildup and require more frequent visits.
Our dental team knows that each patient will require a different dental hygiene schedule. While most people come in for dental hygiene appointments every six months, some people may benefit by coming in every 3-4 months, while others might only require a hygiene appointment every nine or even every 12 months. Our dedicated dental team will discuss with you how often you should have a dental cleaning based on your specific individual needs.